Hi Magnus,

When browsers allow to do a predicable layout than it is possible with
GWT, too.
GWT helps you more or less to overcome some bug, but it isn't perfect.
GWT does not check style and try to workaround bug.
GWT is able to create different approaches (css) for an specific
browser AND widget (if it possible at all)

However, the Mega Scrap (MegaSchrott)-Browsers are a single bug in
multiple versions.
(by the way IE9 just passes 19 out of 160 html5 tests)
When there is a real need to support IE just make a separate project
only for IE. Other approaches will just fail.

First of all: my experience with IE and % is: don't do it. It just
fails. When you want to support IE never use %
You may use position:absolute,left/right/top/bottom=0 instead which is
nearly the same as 100%, 100% (it differs in the box model)

Second is,

.chessboard
{
 border:#0000FF 8px inset;
 padding:25px;
 float:right;
 align:center;
 text-align: center;
}

style align is non existing. float right is strange here. text-align
will not help.

Strange is, that you show us two picture of IE and one of FF. But you
are talking about two variants of FF and one of IE

Center is horizontal possible. I just do this.
For vertically center you need CSS3 capabilities (calc), but this is
extreme poor supported by all browser.

http://www.caniuse.com/#cats=CSS3&statuses=rec,pr,cr,wd,ietf

I would avoid vertical centering, or you have to use procedural code
(which is terribly slow on IE)

Stefan Bachert
http://gwtworld.de