On Jun 10, 6:31 am, Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 juin, 16:29, Eric <erjab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Sadly, the best method is to use GWT's DateTimeFormat:
>
> > private static final DateTimeFormat YEAR_FORMAT =
> > DateTimeFormat.getFormat("yyyy");
> > public static int year(final Date date) {
> >   return Integer.parseInt(YEAR_FORMAT.format(date));
>
> > }
>
> Do you really think GWT won't use a Date#getYear() to output the
> "yyyy" formatted string? How then parsing it back into an int would be
> better than just calling getYear() and adding a @SuppressWarning on
> your method?

I've come to the conclusion that you're right.  I dislike suppressing
warnings; I work on projects where people deprecate their own code
but never refactor the old code away.  Suppressing warnings lets those
people hide their malpractice from themselves.

But in this case, the deprecation is Sun's problem.  My problem is
that
I'm a programming prig prig.  Go ahead--use the anotation, and save
yourself many lines of useless code.  If it weren't too much trouble
set up, I'd suggest using a JSNI function to do the work.  However,
the
invocation and the creation of that are both ugly.

I surrender.

Respectfully,
Eric Jablow