If i'm not mistaken you may be running into essentially the same kind
of dilemma I've had to deal with. My site doesn't use a DocLayoutPanel
cuz I made this part of my site long before layout panels existed in
GWT, but I think some of my divs are the same thing as layout panels.
I use css styling; position:absolute along with specific top, right,
bottom, left coords to make a panel that takes up all the the
remaining width and height left in the page. The internal divs are
absolute and set with width and height at 100% and that seems to be
enough to create scroll bars if the contents are larger than the
container. I do actually have the second inner div with overflow set
to auto, but I'm playing with the CSS right now and having that (the
overflow css) NOT set doesn't change the scrollbar or anything. I
guess I don't need it...

So... is my assumption that LayoutPanels have position:absolute and
the four directions set to 0px (or whatever value) correct? If so,
maybe that panel can gain scrollbars by making inner panels have
position:absolute and height:100% as well?

I'm not entirely sure, though I'm sure I could figure it out if I
played with the css on your site. Or you can just use a DOM inspector
on my site at http://subtabs.skystrider.com and see how I accomplish
it.

hope that helps a little bit :)