Heres my example (a custom widget):

public class TestWidget extends Composite {

        private static TestWidgetUiBinder uiBinder = GWT
                        .create(TestWidgetUiBinder.class);

        interface TestWidgetUiBinder extends UiBinder<Widget, TestWidget> {
        }

        @UiField
        Button button;

        public TestWidget(String firstName) {
                initWidget(uiBinder.createAndBindUi(this));
                button.setText(firstName);
                super.onAttach();
        }

        @UiHandler("button")
        void onClick(ClickEvent e) {
                Window.alert("Hello!");

And here the code to add the Widget to a Panel:

TestWidget testWidget = new TestWidget("myTestWidget");
RootPanel.getBodyElement().appendChild(testWidget.getElement());
mainPanel.getElement().appendChild(testWidget.getElement());

I know that it is possible to add an Widget directly to an RootPanel
like this:
RootPanel.get("myId").add(testWidget );

However lets say i want to add widgets directly to the DOM. I don't
really understand why i have to call super.onAattch(); to get my
ClickEvent to work. If i don't execute that line it won't fire. I'm
not sure if this is the right way maybe somebody can give me more
information.