Here's code I'd use to create a simplistic chess board:

// the chess board with no spaces
Grid cb = new Grid(10, 10);
cb.setCellPadding(0);
cb.setCellSpacing(0);
cb.setBorderWidth(0);

// assembles the board by inserting colored panels
for (int i = 1; i < 9; i++) {
    // panels of the top row
    SimplePanel pHTop = new SimplePanel();
    pHTop.setPixelSize(40, 20);
    pHTop.getElement().getStyle().setBackgroundColor("red");

    // panels of the bottom row
    SimplePanel pHBottom = new SimplePanel();
    pHBottom.setPixelSize(40, 20);
    pHBottom.getElement().getStyle().setBackgroundColor("red");

    // panels of the left column
    SimplePanel pVLeft = new SimplePanel();
    pVLeft.setPixelSize(20, 40);
    pVLeft.getElement().getStyle().setBackgroundColor("green");

    // panels of the right column
    SimplePanel pVRight = new SimplePanel();
    pVRight.setPixelSize(20, 40);
    pVRight.getElement().getStyle().setBackgroundColor("green");

    // insert the border cells
    cb.setWidget(0, i, pHTop);
    cb.setWidget(9, i, pHBottom);
    cb.setWidget(i, 0, pVLeft);
    cb.setWidget(i, 9, pVRight);

    for (int j = 1; j < 9; j++) {
        // the inner chess board panels
        SimplePanel cP = new SimplePanel();
        cP.setPixelSize(40, 40);
        // switches between black and white
        if (j % 2 == 0) {
            cP.getElement().getStyle().setBackgroundColor(
                            i % 2 == 0 ? "black" : "white");
        } else {
            cP.getElement().getStyle().setBackgroundColor(
                            i % 2 == 0 ? "white" : "black");
        }
        cb.setWidget(i, j, cP);

// there it is
RootPanel.get().add(cb, 1, 1);

Programmatic styles are of course not as good as using stylesheets,
consider this just a demo.