Hi Simon,

One question is what do you mean with "duplicate"?

In a client-server environment there is an absolute need to duplicate
the value of an object.
Because you need it on server and client side. The process is called
serialization.
However, you can use the same class on both sides.

 When you client just need a smaller set of attributes than your
domain object offers, you need different classes.
The latter happens when multiple applications are working on the same
domain objects.

There are a lot of object/classes which are some how similar but used
in different technical context( e.g with/without lazy loading from
database)
- objects representing database entities (ENTITES)
- objects representing domain objects/model objects (DomainObject,
Business Objects)
- objects representing a snapshot of domain objects
(DataTransferObjects, ValueObject)

Stefan Bachert
http://gwtworld.de