The GWT Maven plugin deviates from the standard Maven directory
structure by default, to accommodate the Google Plugin for Eclipse's
default directory structure. If you want to use the standard Maven
directory layout (with the static resources for your War file in src/
main/webapp instead of the war directory) with the Google Plugin for
Eclipse, there are some things you need to make sure of.

1. In the GWT Maven Plugin <configuration>, add <hostedWebapp>$
{project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}</hostedWebapp>.
That will cause the plugin to use target/my-example-project-1.0.0-
SNAPSHOT (or whatever your project is called) instead of the war
directory.
2. Configure the Google Plugin for Eclipse to use src/main/webapp
instead of war
3. Before you can run the project in hosted mode, you'll need to run
mvn package, to copy your static resources from your GWT public
package and src/main/webapp to your hosted mode directory. You'll only
need to do this the first time.