Bingo, thank you.

I originally started out trying to use the LayoutPanel panels.  Since
the documentation and support for them ranges from execrable to non-
existent (for example, the "Showcase" is all non-LayoutPanels), I
switched over to straight Panels and Quirks mode.

However, I was still calling RootLayoutPanel.get ().  In Firefox, this
worked.  In IE, it did not.  Changing that to RootPanel.get () made it
work.

Thank you very much!

Greg