I had the same question, when I started using GWT I knew javascript
very good and I was just starting with java.
I found that when writing in java you can have classes and classes
that inherit from other classes which is a must in all modern apps,
this makes your life a whole lot easier. You do have to think
differently but once you get the hang of it you'll find out that some
apps are a lot easier to make in GWT..

But don't forget that there are somethings that are impossible to do
in GWT like loading a class by it's name, and others.

If you want to use it instead of JQuery then you'll find out that you
can't traverse trough the DOM using queries, you'll have to keep
elements in variables and in arrays, which makes it execute a lot
faster.