The GWT documentation identifies two classes of server architectures that
support GWT-RPC: Simple Client-Server or Multi-Tier Deployment [1]. Pretty
intuitive, but it seems to me that there aren't too many examples of the
latter out there. Anybody know of any good examples of connecting GWT-RPC to
a more comprehensive server? I've been working to connect GWT to a Django
back end. I've cobbled together enough to make it work, but I was hoping to
see some other implementations as a sanity check.

I also wanted to leave a high level observation...I've been working with GWT
for a few months, and I'm surprised at how little focus there is on server
organization in the documentation and in this forum. I think that base case
of using GWT with a simple java server like Tomcat or App Engine and
Hibernate is grossly insufficient for most complex apps. But as a newbie, it
takes serious time to identify the relative advantages of the various
GWT+server combinations...which makes it difficult to answer the question
"should I use GWT in this app?" The lesson: I think a beginner's guide to
server organizations would be a really useful blog post or documentation
page, if anybody more experienced than me has the time. I think a good
reference like that would make it much easier (and more attractive) for
people to switch over from the Rails/Django world.

Take care --
Brett

[1]:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideServerCommunication.html#DevGuideArchitecturalPerspectives