GWT is Javascript, at least what the user sees on the website.

One idea, is to get all the data from your server for a ship's route
as an array of lat/lng objects, then set up a Timer() object that
calls your callback  every 30ms or so, and you just set the map marker
position to the next entry in the lat/lng pair.  For faster animation,
jump further in your array, or decrease the 30ms to 15ms, etc.