I've run into the same problem.  I'm running in dev mode at
http://127.0.0.1:8888/mypage.jsp?gwt.codesvr=127.0.0.1:9997 but
GWT.getHostPageBaseURL() returns http://127.0.0.1:8888/ and so I am
redirected there.  Is there any way to detect dev mode and append my
info, or have GWT.getHostPageBaseURL() return a dev mode url?