When it's hanging, drop to a command prompt, and type jps. That should give
you the process id of the compiler process. Then type "jstack <pid>". Copy
that output into a file and attach it.

If you switch over to the "Console" view while the compile is going on, what
do you see? What happens if you hit the red button in the Console view? Does
it terminate the compile?