I guess this is the relevant part :

A new "Proxy" interface will be added as a superclass of ValueProxy
and EntityProxy to allow RequestFactory.create to operate on both
value and entity types.
Because ValueProxy doesn't have a stableId() method, there's no way to
use a VP with a call to find() or with any other service method that
has an EntityProxyId argument.
If you think about a Date object, there's no real meaning in giving a
Date an id.
If an EntityProxy has a value property, all of the properties of the
VP are checked for mutations and sent to the server.
The value in the domain object will be replaced if anything in the
VP's state has changed.

http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=5522
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=5357