I think i start to understand, after reading the blog posts from
Thomas Broyer here: http://tbroyer.posterous.com/gwt-21-activities-nesting-yagni
and the other posts in this series

Looking at a host page, you can identify different display areas.
Every "dynamic" area - not the static part of the host page - is
managed by an activity manager, which decides the activity to live in
the display area.
The applications switches between places and changing places triggers
each activity manager to update its part of the display area;

So I think I have to create a
- menu activity manager
- main content activity manager
- login/logout link activity manager
- sidebar activity manager.

What do think ? Is my understanding of the "big picture" correct ?