A valuable resource that has helped me quite a bit are the POMs from
Harald Pehl in his various open source projects. Check out:

Super POM with global settings:
http://code.google.com/p/pehl-parent/source/browse/trunk/pom.xml

Super POM for Piriti:
http://code.google.com/p/piriti/source/browse/trunk/pom.xml

Piriti Core module (framework character):
http://code.google.com/p/piriti/source/browse/trunk/core/pom.xml

Piriti Sample module (GWT App deployed on AppEngine):
http://code.google.com/p/piriti/source/browse/trunk/sample/pom.xml

We are in the process of migrating gwt-platform to Maven, so you might
find some information in there too:
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-platform/issues/detail?id=211

Cheers,

     Philippe