Thanks,
John LaBanca
jlaba...@google.com

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM, David Chandler <drfibona...@google.com>wrote:

> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideServerCommunication.html
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Ashok <uashoksun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >  Asynchronous calls? What does this mean? I tried using threads. But,it
> gives
> > the error: ClassName cannot be found in the source package! If you can
> give some
> > example pages on Asynchronous calls, would be very helpful. Thanks in
> advance!

GWT does not support threads... nor does JavaScript.  Asynchronous means
that you trigger an event to be completed some time in the future.  There
are two variations in GWT: asynchronous RPC calls to the server, and
timers/scheduled commands.  RPC calls send a request to the server, then at
some later point, the server responds and triggers a callback.

Timers/Scheduled Commands (see Scheduler) specify a method to run after some
timeout.  However, keep in mind that JavaScript is single threaded.  Lets
say you schedule a Timer for 1ms, then synchronously perform 100ms worth of
code execution.  Since JavaScript is single threaded, your Timer will not
fire for at least 100ms, even though you scheduled it for 1ms.  Its
asynchronous because the code in the Timer executes after the current
execution block.