Thank you for your answer. I'm not sure that putting it in the host page is
a good idea for my app -- I'd rather use that as a last resort.

My current onModuleLoad override method in my Entry Point is this:

              private SimplePanel appWidget = new SimplePanel();

   public void onModuleLoad() {

 ClientFactory clientFactory = GWT.create(ClientFactory.class);

 EventBus eventBus = clientFactory.getEventBus();

 PlaceController placeController = clientFactory.getPlaceController();

  ActivityMapper activityMapper = new AppActivityMapper(clientFactory);

 ActivityManager activityManager = new ActivityManager(activityMapper,
eventBus);

 activityManager.setDisplay(appWidget);

  AppPlaceHistoryMapper historyMapper = GWT.create(AppPlaceHistoryMapper.
class);

 PlaceHistoryHandler historyHandler = newPlaceHistoryHandler(historyMapper);

 historyHandler.register(placeController, eventBus, defaultPlace);

 RootPanel.get().add(appWidget);

 historyHandler.handleCurrentHistory();

}

 Couldn't I solve this problem by subclassing SimplePanel, and adding my
header and footer to *appWidget before calling *activityManager.setDisplay?