When the user logs in, store something in the HttpSession. Then, when
the next page loads and your entry point is invoked, make a GWT-RPC
call to check the session to see if the user is logged in and who they
are. You can access the session from a GWT-RPC service implementation
(subclass of AbstractRemoteServiceServlet) using:

    getThreadLocalRequest().getSession()

You can store the user's preferred language in the session, too.

As for tutorials, I don't have any in mind, but I'm sure you could
find some examples by searching for "GWT getThreadLocalRequest".

-Brian