Hmm...

Have you checked that port 8888 (if that's what you are using) is blocked in
the Windows firewall?

The times I've seen this there has been a networking problem such that the client can't reach the server. That would explain why it works on one m/c and not the other. I think the 32 bit vs 64 bit is a red herring - I use Win 7 X64 with a 64 bit JVM all the time and have no problems.

HTH

Alan