On Dec 30 2010, 6:23 pm, Sripathi Krishnan
<sripathi.krish...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *re. 1 - Best way to transfer*
> IMHO - Base64 encoded data in either JSON or XML, with standard gzip
> compression applied. Optionally (but recommended), rename the files to
> <MD5>.cache.xml or something similar, and set strong http cache headers.

OK, will use Base65 encoded data with XML.

> If ... you have the files at compile time, you can should consider using...

Nope these files are data, coming from a server. The aren't know at
compile time.

> Base64 is the preferred format because you can directly render the string on
> a canvas using
> data:uri<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Canvas_tutorial/Using_images#section_5>.

Interesting, this is a bonus. I'm not sure this case could use it
though.  The data is gray-scale with no transparency, so instead of 4
bytes for RBG and alpha, it will just be just one 15-bit gray scale
value per pixel.  Also the scaling needs to take place and I'm
thinking of doing that on the client side.

Is the canvas only 8 bit grey scale?  (256)

> You should also read Google Instant Previews Under the
> Hood<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/beyond-instant-results-instant...>-
> it explains how google transfers images using base64 encoding to the
> browser.

OK will need to read this.

> *re. 2 Best way to store client side*
> Since you are targeting HTML5 capable browsers, localStorage seems the best
> solution. It has decent browser support, but the only caveat  is that
> localStorage
> can only store strings, not
> objects<http://diveintohtml5.org/storage.html#methods>.
> This is another reason to use base64 encoded strings - they can easily be
> stashed into localStorage and consumed without much ado.

I see that the limit is 5 mega-bytes per site for HTML5 local storage
from the link. That likely will likely hold 5-10 of these images, but
it would need to be more like 100 to 200 images.  Would a browser have
an issue with 100 canvas tags each holding one image, and only one
that is visible as a time?

This only needs to run in Chrome, and Safari and Firefox are optional.
Does Chrome have a 5 megabyte limit?