Apparently the requests weren't getting to Tomcat. If I accessed the
site through the Tomcat port (http connector) then it would work
correctly.

Now, the follow-up question would be is there a way to either specify
the port in the client code somewhere or have apache forward the
request to Tomcat automatically?