I use complex popups and just create new widgets that extend
PopupPanel

MyComplexWidgetPopup extends PopupPane
@Inject
public My...(MyWidgetView view)
.... where MyWidgetView is a UiBinder

Acts exactly like an Activity where the Widget has the app logic and
the view takes care of the presentation. It just isn't associated with
a Place

Then in the activity that calls the popup widget:
myWidget.center() or whatever the call is