Well a RPC request will be done via HTTP/TCP so the only way to lost the
answer is when the server does not respond within TCP's timeout. If the
timeout is reached I think GWT will call the RPC request's onFailure method.
So as long as your servlet responds "somehow", RCP requests should be fine.
So you could either POST nonsense to the servlet (which would result in an
exception and this exception is probably the content of your received
index.html. See AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.java for exception handling
details). If its not then you have posted nonsense to a wrong url) or you
could overwrite doGet in the servlet and let it respond with http 200 along
with "OK" and then do a GET on the servlet and check if you received "OK".

But in general I think you have either a misconfigured Tomcat or a
significant bug in your server side application (because you have said it
works again if you restart tomcat). So I would definitely make a code review
/ tomcat configuration review and/or do some logging. Maybe Tomcat receives
all RPC requests but your application is, at some point, in a state where
the servlet just could not finish its job (waits for something) and thus
does not respond (maybe there is no database connection available from a
connection pool or a synchronized block never completes and threads have to
wait or something like that).