Hi Thomas,

On Friday, April 1, 2011 9:27:56 PM UTC-4, Thomas Broyer wrote:

> Construct a ServerFailure from a given Throwable. You can then pass
> specific "tokens" that your client code will be able to analyze (if needed),
> but more importantly, you can tell whether the error should be considered
> "fatal" or not (default implementation of onFailure in Receiver throws a
> RuntimeException, but only if the ServerFailure is "fatal", which the
> DefaultExceptionHandler always produces)

Wait, so there is already a DefaultExceptionHandler in place? So I *don't*
need to install my own handler, construct ServerFailures, etc?

> Assuming "requestContext" above actually is a Request (not a
> RequestContext), that's abnormal.
>

> If you're indeed talking about a RequestContext (and your T should be read
> as Void), then it's the normal behavior: the RequestContext-level Receiver's
> onFailure will only be called if the server (more or less) failed to
> deserialize the request or serialize the response. When processing service
> method invocations, each service method's Receiver's onFailure can be
> called, independently of the others, and the RequestContext-level Receiver's
> onSuccess will be called in the end.

Ah, well that's my problem then. In many cases I'm firing on the context
rather than on the request, because I have stacked up multiple calls, and I
want them to fire as a group, rather than having to fire them all serially.
There was a posting in this group a while back (hah, good luck finding it!)
suggesting that this was the right pattern to use for that kind of thing.

The use case I have in mind is an editor for a complex page having several
text fields/drop-downs that are persisted to various tables in a DB.  After
the user clicks "save", I wanted all the changes to be saved (or fail to
save, with error message) as a group.

Thanks