Eclipse's debug hooks can sometimes cause pathological slowdowns if you have
a breakpoint set on a method entry point. This can happen for regular java
(read: non-GWT) programs as well. Try removing any breakpoints you have set
(or at least, removing any on the method entry--you can set them just fine
on the first line of the function instead)