Update:

The problem was that the launch configuration created by the gwt-maven-
plugin was missing the module specification. Once I added this, the
app did come up when invoking "Run As/Web Application".

The current problem that I'm working on is that my app compiled for
web mode isn't coming up. Instead I get a dialog box saying the module
may need to be recompiled. Its looking like there are files missing
from the war file.

Wish me luck. Obviously, GPE/Eclipse functionality hasn't been very
well tested by the plugin developers.