Presumably you're using Internet Explorer...which has "issues" showing
HTML elements over other objects on the page that are rendered
natively by the OS (iframes, flash, select boxes, etc).

To get around this "limitation", GWT utilizes a hack where you put an
iframe shim behind the popup panel's contents so the shim iframe
obscures the other one.  See the code in PopupImplIE6 for how its used
- there's also a link in the code to a blog posting w/ a fuller
explanation.