The idea behind security is simple, trust no one and trust nothing... only
when who ever tries to access and authenticates them self and
is authorized to access what ever it is the are attempting to access allow
this action.

So try and hide anything that a user should not have access to. This will
prevent them form attempting to access this and limits the number of errors
or warnings you will have to show.
Always check the credentials on every single call don't assume that due to
the user having access to a button they must have the rights check these
rights instead.
If at all possible do not provide access at all the more access you have to
give the more likely it is this will be abused. If you think you are being
paranoid you need to look for another job you can never be paranoid enough
;-)

In all honesty I think that GWT is not a very good platform for secure
applications for the simple reason that a lot of the hiding of functionality
happens on the wrong system (the client side). Now there is a lot to say
against security trough obscurity but look at it this way if you had never
seen or heard a bout an iPhone or iPad would you want one? Exactly 99% of
the people would say no to that and that means a big reduction in the number
of people that might try and get one...

If you are working on a system that should be as secure as possible I would
advocate against GWT simply because as originally said most of the hiding of
functionality happens on the wrong system which means that attackers gain a
lot of knowledge that would otherwise be just that bit harder to come by. Of
course there is nothing stopping them from gaining this knowledge anyway,
but every hurdle is one more reason to leave your site for what it is and
try to mess with your neighbors site instead.

No matter how many people advocate against the obscurity argument less
information is the reason wars have been lost and in this day and age where
information makes Google... restricting access to information means slightly
more security for your site no matter which way you look at it.