Agreed these are serious issues facing the FF plugin. For the moment, we're
doing a little bit of wait and see to see if this new release strategy
(specifically the forced rebuild of all extensions) actually sticks. If it
does, we'll certainly need to retool how we spin plugin builds for new
versions of Firefox.

The size issue will definitely be a problem. In anticipation of that, we've
reduced the compiled output size considerably by turning off some debug
flags, and our plugin supporting 3.0-5.0 clocks in at just 2.0MB.  Long
term, we'll probably need to fashion some kind of split binary or revisit
the notion of having every version supported in a single xpi.

Short term, the unsatisfying answer that I can give to you is that we will
lag Firefox's release schedule. If you rely on the Firefox GWT DevMode
plugin, be sure to keep an instance of a known working version of firefox
around for your development.