I haven't tested it myself, but
this<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1427048/how-can-i-add-build-path-items-to-eclipse-3-5-using-relative-paths>
seems
to deal with how to create relative paths. Another solution may be to edit
the .classpath manually.

If I don't move the external folder at the bottom, then I won't be able to
properly use Eclipse F3 / Go to definition functions - they will bring me to
the class file, not to the source, which renders navigation a bit
cumbersome.
There may be something around this too; it hasn't bothered me much (I'm on a
single-person project at the moment and can easily live with this), but if
you find something I'd be glad to know :)

Cheers,
--
Sébastien Tromp