Emilio Bravo wrote:
> http://www.thoughtworks.com/articles/technology-radar-july-2011#Platforms
> > First, in many ways, JavaScript is more powerful and expressive than
> > Java, so we suspect that the generation is going in the wrong
> > direction.
>
> more powerfull for that?

This critique makes no sense, as the two languages are comparable in
expressivity.  Admittedly something is lost in translating from one to
the other, and maybe that's what they want to say.

> > Secondly, it is impossible to hide a complex abstraction
> > difference like that from event-driven desktop to stateless-web
> > without leaky abstraction headaches eventually popping up
>
> I can't comment, I do not know the compilation process.

The JavaScript engines that GWT targets are not stateless.  There is
no such gross incompatibility between the source and target platforms.
I wonder what they were thinking?

> > Third, it suffers from the same shortcomings of many elaborate
> > frameworks, where building simple, aligned applications is quick
> > and easy, building more sophisticated but not supported
> > functionality is possible but difficult, and building the level of
> > sophistication required by any non-trivial application becomes
> > either impossible or so difficult it isn’t reasonable.
>
> What is meant by functionality not supported?.  Program non-trivial
> applications with GWT is easier than directly in javascript

I have the opposite problem.  I often want to do something that would
be trivial in JavaScript or HTML, but I have to struggle a little to
accomplish the same thing in GWT.  Something as simple as wrapping a
Widget in a div - just for a quick layout test - requires reading the
API docs.  I'm no a GWT expert yet, and I guess that's part of the
problem.  I'm more familiar with CSS, HTML and even JavaScript than I
am with GWT.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528