I am programming the authentication system of the application I am
working on. When the application loads for the first time, it asks the
user for a username and a password. The login credentials are entered
by the user using a form inside a gwt Window. This window is shown
over the application interface (with its own layout).

Then, I want to mask the underlying application interface so that the
user can barely see the gui, but is not allowed to use any of its
widgets. The effect I want to create is to put an dark translucent
layer between the login window and the main application gui. In
conclusion: I want to attain the same effect as the one shown when an
alert MessageBox is displayed.

Is it possible to do that? Thank you in advance.