I'd like to access a static file, let's say config.xml from my onModuleLoad
method.

It says on this webpage, that config.xml should live in the public sibling
dir of my .gwt.xml file, but I've tried that and onModuleLoad function still
gives me the error below.

It also suggests that I add a line to the .gwt.xml file like   <public
path='public'/>  but that isn't working for me either.

http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideOrganizingProjects.html

I've tried searching for an example, but I don't see one.

com.google.gwt.xml.client.impl.DOMParseException: Failed to parse: error on
line 1 at column 1: Document is empty

    at
com.google.gwt.xml.client.impl.XMLParserImplSafari.throwDOMParseException(XMLParserImplSafari.java:38)
    at
    at
    at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodAdaptor.invoke(MethodAdaptor.java:103)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodDispatch.invoke(MethodDispatch.java:71)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.invoke(OophmSessionHandler.java:167)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessagesWhileWaitingForReturn(BrowserChannelServer.java:326)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.invokeJavascript(BrowserChannelServer.java:207)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpaceOOPHM.doInvoke(ModuleSpaceOOPHM.java:132)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNative(ModuleSpace.java:561)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNativeObject(ModuleSpace.java:269)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.JavaScriptHost.invokeNativeObject(JavaScriptHost.java:91)
    at
com.google.gwt.xml.client.impl.XMLParserImplSafari.parseImpl(XMLParserImplSafari.java)
    at
com.google.gwt.xml.client.impl.XMLParserImpl.parse(XMLParserImpl.java:278)
    at com.google.gwt.xml.client.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:47)
    at com.java2s.gwt.client.client.GWTClient.loadConfig(GWTClient.java:56)
    at
com.java2s.gwt.client.client.GWTClient.onModuleLoad(GWTClient.java:46)
    at
    at
    at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad(ModuleSpace.java:396)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.loadModule(OophmSessionHandler.java:193)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChannelServer.java:510)
    at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run(BrowserChannelServer.java:352)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

Thank you for your help!