Kevin,

  My "solution" was to make copies of both RequestFactoryServlet and
SimpleRequestProcessor in a com.google.web.bindery.requestfactory.server
package in my environment, and then inside
MySimpleRequestProcessor.process(), add the following change:

    .
    .
    .
    assert invocationResults.size() == invocationSuccess.size();
    if (!invocationResults.isEmpty()) {
      resp.setInvocationResults(invocationResults);
      resp.setStatusCodes(invocationSuccess);
    }

    // BEGIN CUSTOMIZATION
    Iterator<Boolean>  successIter = invocationSuccess.iterator();
    Iterator<Splittable> resultIter = invocationResults.iterator();

    while (successIter.hasNext() && resultIter.hasNext())
    {
        Boolean success = successIter.next();
        Splittable result = resultIter.next();

        if (!success)
        {
            resp.setGeneralFailure(
                    (AutoBeanCodex.decode(FACTORY,
ServerFailureMessage.class, result)).as());
            break;

    // END CUSTOMIZATION

    if (!operations.isEmpty()) {
      resp.setOperations(operations);
  .
  .
  .

I then modified MyRequestFactoryServlet to reference
MySimpleRequestProcessor, and modified my application context to launch
MyRequestFactoryServlet instead of RequestFactoryServlet.  This is far from
ideal, but it was the only way I could find to force a general failure based
on the invocation failure, since none of the methods in question are
publicly accessible.  It also leaves me requiring hand-edits of these files
every time we upgrade to a new GWT version.