Thanks for all of the replies. I have had some time to dig into this a
little more. Long story short, the ValidationTool finds inherited
@ExtraTypes when run on its own from the command line but does not
when run as an automated annotation processor. I think it might have
something to do with the fact that my proxies are request factories
are organized into multiple projects, like so:

core-components-project:
   com/acme/components/core/
                       Core.gwt.xml
                       client/
                          ComponentRequestFactory.java
                          ComponentServiceRequest.java
                       shared/
                          ComponentProxy.java
                       server/
                          Component.java
                          ComponentService.java

   com/acme/components/foocomponents/
                       Foo.gwt.xml
                       client/
                          FooRequestFactory.java (extends
ComponentRequestFactory, has @ExtraType annotation declaring
FooComponentProxy.class)
                       shared/
                          FooComponentProxy.java (extends
ComponentProxy)
                       server/
                          FooComponent.java (extends Component)

   com/acme/components/barcomponents/
                       Bar.gwt.xml
                       client/
                          BarRequestFactory.java (extends
ComponentRequestFactory, has @ExtraType annotation declaring
BarComponentProxy.class)
                       shared/
                          BarComponentProxy.java (extends
ComponentProxy)
                       server/
                          BarComponent.java (extends Component)

Product A-project: (includes core components project on eclipse build
path)
   com/acme/producta/
            ProductA.gwt.xml
            client/
               ProductARequestFactory.java (extends FooRequestFactory
and BarRequestFactory, @ExtraType for ProductAComponentProxy.class)
            shared/
               ProductAComponentProxy.java (extends ComponentProxy)
            server/
               ProductAComponent.java (extends Component)

I have methods in com.acme.components.core.ComponentService that
operate on Component objects and are expected to return the
appropriate polymorphic subclasses of ComponentProxy.

>From the command line, the validation tool compiles a
ProductARequestFactoryObfuscatorBuilder with ComponentProxy,
FooComponentProxy, and BarComponentProxy, and ProductAComponentProxy.
When run as an annotation processor, I just get ProductAComponentProxy
and ComponentProxy.

Does this make any sense?