An alternative way is to use JAXB in the server side, convert XML
documents into object hierarchy and fetch them to client by rpc. It is
likely to be much faster as string data becomes binary data. Besides,
you get first class objects in the client side.

J.Ganesan
www.DataStoreGwt.com
Persist objects directly in App Engine