On 11/28/2011 09:47 AM, Williame wrote:
> I am a linux dev, my ubuntu distro updates firefox along with the OS
> updates soon after a new firefox release.  Mozilla has adopted an
> aggressive release schedule and the gwt plugin for it has lagged several
> weeks behind.  So when a new firefox is released, i have to change from
> firefox dev to chrome dev until the plugin is available for firefox.  I
> have yet to have a google chrome version update break the gwt plugin, or
> ot have an updated plugin available immediately.  I can count on chrome
> on linux with the gwt dev plugin(YAY!!).  It's just really, really slow
> for non-trivial page layouts.
>
> Otherwise, my options are run a local, older version of firefox I
> download and hope the latest firefox doesn't update the shared
> prefs/plugins breaking the older version I'm running alongside it or
> reboot into windows and develop there.

You're comfortable with installing FF locally? When installed as root,
but run as non-root, it will not automatically update the existing version.

FF can be configured to not check automatically for updates.

The GWT plugin can be installed on a non-root basis.

If the above doesn't float your boat, consider using
update-alternatives
(http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/update-alternatives.8.html)
to manage two versions: latest and a lagging development version.

> GWT, besides being AWESOME, is a free product so I don't have a leg to
> stand on to complain to Google.  But I do humbly request they get Chrome
> up to firefox speed in gwt dev mode.  Pretty please.

There are some technical issues w/r/t to Chrome speed matching FF. There
are several threads in this group discussing the issue. The gist is that
the Chrome devs have to implement some features.