no idea what gae is, but i use idea+gwt. using devmode is easy. you just
need to make sure all the sources are in the classpath. go to
settings|compiler|resource pattern and add a pattern for all source
files. then simply run devmode and point it at a *.gwt.xml

when making a change, i recompile, causing idea to copy all modified
sources and press f5 in my browser. the devmode will recompile
everything by itself.

i do not start the application as a dev-mode-gwt-page from idea. the app
server runs independently from devmode, i just hook it in when i need
it. someone else in my team took care of the "hooking in". i can check
how it works if you need to know. afaik it's just another parameter in
the URL that makes browser connect to a running devmode instance.