I'm refactoring a MVP app I have that currently uses Events and an
AppController to handle navigation transitions.

Activities and Places appear to only pass state via tokens, not by
passing by reference. is there another way?

A use case may help here:
Think of two screens, A Student List screen and an Add Edit Student
screen.

Without places using events, clicking on a Student in Student List
fires off an event CONTAINING the student, so when the Add Edit
Student view picks it up, it already knows about the student.

With Places when you click on a student in student list, the
PlaceManager gives you a place and an id for that student.  The Add
Edit Student Actiivity has to look up the student based off the passed
in id.  This seems like a major design drawback. What I was expecting
was some method to pass the object.  In the case where someone
navigates straight to:

#AddEditStudentPlace:2

I would expect my code to handle the fact that it does not have a
passed in student and in THAT case, fetch it from the server. If
you've already clicked on the Student in a list view, it's insane to
look it up again.  That's about as un GWT as you can get.

Yes I could put it in a app cache, but that's a hack and introduces
client side memory issues.

There must be some way to handle this that keeps the model simple.

The only thing I can think of is putting my events back in on top of
places, but what good is that?? If I do that, why even use Places?