Just thought I'd post an update here as I solved this problem The problem
was not at all that I couldn't pass data to the client side. You can indeed
create a regular RPC Service which makes calls to the Force.com api instead
of the datastore, then pass this data to the client as a list or whatever
you like.

My mistake was not putting my security token after the password while
trying to login. Doh!

Here is the code that is in my ServiceImpl class:

       public List<Account> getStuff()
{
List<Account> list = new ArrayList<Account>();
 try
{
// config
ConnectorConfig config = new ConnectorConfig();
config.setTransport(GaeHttpTransport.class);
config.setUsername("usernamehere");
config.setPassword("pasword+TOKEN");

config.setTraceMessage(true);
 // initialise connection
PartnerConnection connection = Connector.newConnection(config);
 // give it a query
QueryResult qr = connection.query("SELECT Id, Name FROM Account ORDER BY
Name ASC");
 // put records in array
SObject[] records = qr.getRecords();
 // add to list as Account
for(int i = 0; i < qr.getSize() ; i++)
{
String id = records[i].getId();
String name = (String) records[i].getField("Name");
 Account account = new Account(id, name);
 list.add(account);
}
 return list;
}
catch(ConnectionException e)
{
System.out.print(e.getMessage());
System.out.print(e.getStackTrace());
//System.out.print(e.getMessage());
return null; // empty

It converts the SObjects to Account objects and returns them in a list, as
I prefer this to returning an array or SObjects.

Drew