I have done GWT portlets successfully for liferay. You can use some liferay
specific options for including your portlet javascript. But basically, I would
start with the following.

1) create a sample GWT application and compile it. You should have a index.html
page that loads your GWT javascript
2) create a sample portlet (using technologies of your choise, could be jsp for
example).
3) in your portlet's markup, copy your GWT sample project's files.
4) in your view.jsp (or whatever main portlet VIEW page), include the GWT
script and neccesary markup.

P/d: searching in google "GWT portlet" there are some suggestions about calling
the gwt compiler inside your portlet's project, for example with eclipse or
ant. For example "liferay gwt portlet" will give you a lot of specific step by
step tutorials

regards

Sebastian Gurin <sgu...@softpoint.org>