I should clarify, I mean GWT Eclipse Plugin 2.5.1 (GWT 2.4).

The following login-config in the web.xml works fine in Tomcat:

        <login-config>
                <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
        </login-config>

I don't actually want to have to define a Jetty realm, but with the above
web.xml I get the following warning when I launch my app:

Starting Jetty on port 8888
   [WARN] Unknown realm: myRealm

It would be nice to have basic authentication working in hosted mode.