> Do other people experience this problem when using Dev mode?

Yes, I do.  I just found your post searching for "devmode performance".  I
wish I knew how to fix it as it makes development painful.  I'm also on a
Mac - a new Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM, and it just gets hosed by GWT
development.  As you say, the dreaded rainbow wheel of death is everywhere.
 Eclipse or IntelliJ starts taking a second to respond to respond to
keystrokes.  It's odd because activity monitor (inexact science, I admit)
shows low CPU use, and a GB of inactive memory, so what else could it be...
disk IO, message passing?