I am having the same type of problem - fetching and displaying  huge amount
of data via RPC (displayed in a celltable) runs extremly slow.
Our analysis indicates, that  it is the  serialization/deserialization that
causes the problem.
The rendering of the celltable is actually extremly fast, at least if you
are using a pager !!

 Any sugestions on how to make the serialization/deserialization run faster
??