Hi,

If you only need to support one persistence store and its GAE then
Objectify is the most popular option (and you won't need to create
separate DTOs).

If you need to support other persistence stores (e.g. PostgreSQL,
HSQLDB) then you might consider using DTOs in combination with
DataNucleus (http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/) and JPA
(http://code.google.com/p/datanucleus-appengine/wiki/
UpgradingToVersionTwo).

Cheers