IE 8 has some known performance problems.  We did a lot to optimize
for it.

Large flextables have the biggest impact.  try to switch to a grid
object.

If you search this site you will find post with several other tips.
Like don't attached the flextable to the root object until its done
end.

At the end of the day all this was not enough for us.
We implemented the Crome Frame plug-in for IE users.  There is a
simple change to the application to run the plug-in.
There is a google site just for the crome frame:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-chrome-frame