The source of the problem seem to come from the fact that the proxy site
URL is different from the GWT app URL. This is discussed and nicely
documented in
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/google-web-toolkit/proxypass$20serialization/google-web-toolkit/3wE9yWLMJo4/Mebd0XgW1EIJ
 (thanks
to the authors for this!)

The following proxy setting works properly as the URL are the same:
<Location /openmetadata-www-user-gwt/>
    ProxyPass ajp://localhost:9009/openmetadata-www-user-gwt/
</Location>

In my case, I can rename the underlying GWT app on tomcat so that should
solved the issue. The post above provide excellent alternate solutions.

best

*K