On Monday, June 4, 2012 12:06:42 AM UTC+2, Mike Dee wrote:

> And opening a new window is when authentication comes into play.  The user
> hasn't logged into the new instance of the application (opened in the new
> window).  Hence we are back to the original problem.
>
> With a regular web app, this wouldn't be a problem.  The state of whether
> the user is logged in is maintained on the server (in session variables).
>  In the case of GWT, the state of whether the user is logged is in
> maintained on the client.

Not necessarily; and if you're doing it that way, then IMO you're either
"over-secure" (at the detriment of UX, which is fine if it's a conscious
choice) or you're doing it wrong.

First, I find it way easier to handle authentication separate from the GWT
app, and just consider the user is logged in when/if it loads the GWT app.
That way, you only have to handle the case that the user has been
disconnected and tell him to refresh the page in order to re-authenticate.
And if you open the app while you're already authenticated (using cookies
or whatever, but this is dealt with the server, unknown to the GWT app)
then it "just works": the GWT app does not know (and does not need to know)
whether you just authenticated or you reloaded the page, or went back to
the app while your authentication session was still active, or opened the
app in another window/tab; it just loads, and you're authenticated.

But even if you handle authenticating from within the app, you can very
well set a cookie after authentication and check it onModuleLoad (I did it
once, it works, in practice, not only theoretically).