I have tried doing that.
My code is something like follows

public class EditPasswordTextCell extends EditTextCell {

    @Override
    protected void edit(Context context, Element parent, String value) {
        setValue(context, parent, value);
        InputElement input = getInputElement(parent);
        input.setAttribute("type", "password"); //$NON-NLS-1$ //$NON-NLS-2$
        input.focus();
        input.select();

This brings up a password box when clicking on the cell. But after finished
editing and the value shown in the column is in plain text. Then i decided
to override the renderer methods. But most of the methods in EditTextCell
class are private, so i ended up overriding

    @Override
    public void render(Context context, String value, SafeHtmlBuilder sb) {
        value = "******"; //$NON-NLS-1$
        super.render(context, value, sb);
    }

The above code works fine for first rendering and not for the subsequent.

Now the question arises, should i extend from EditTextCell
or AbstractEditableCell?

Can anyone please help me in this?